Guy Fawkes Night

November 6th, 2010 amguar12

Hola friends!

Last night was Guy Fawkes night (also known as Bonfire night and my friend Caroline’s 21st birthday), which celebrates the anniversary of the failed plot in 1605 to blow up the House of Parliament.  It is a country-wide celebration in England, with firework displays, bonfires and festivals, a truly British holiday (reminding me of 4th of July and its uniqueness to American culture). 

Anyways, the town of Lewes is known for their famous bonfire night (which also includes many pagan acts) and craziness which can get out of hand.  Lewes is literally like the next town from here, but we did not go as apparently the traffic to get there and back (even by train) leaves people stranded for hours.  It seemed a bit chaotic and it was raining.  Either way, me and a bunch of others from the block of flat all got together and ordered Chinese food (I had some sweet and sour pork with egg-fried rice which was pretty good in case you were wondering!).  We then decided to go into Brighton, as there was going to be a fireworks display from the pier.  Right before we left, we learned that the fireworks were cancelled due to the rain, and since I was super-exhausted to begin with, I didn’t really feel well and spent the night in the flat.  I did see one firework though!

Anyways, so it wasn’t that exciting of a night after all, but I thought you should know about this unique British holiday.  Also, I have a cool trip planned for tomorrow, so tune in soon!