Oxford again!

November 21st, 2010 amguar12

2 weekends in a row?!

OK, well while last weekend I was visiting a friend from home, this weekend I was with one of my only American friends from Sussex, on our last tour together (this was yet again another tour through the international office at sussex).  Anyways, the culture in Oxford is so amazing, I can’t get enough!  So I wonder if this was my last visit or not.

So yesterday morning I got on the bus from Sussex around 8:30 AM with my friend Anna for the 2 hour ride to Sussex (this was better than the 3 hour train ride of last weekend).  When we got to Oxford, it was incredibly damp and freezing out, with everyone on the bus realizing that they wore the wrong clothes.  We had about 20 minutes to kill before we met our tour guides, so we warmed up in Tesco, a supermarket chain that is found throughout England.

At 11:00 AM we met our tour guide, who gave us a tour of Christ Church college, which is absolutely beautiful.  Since several scenes from the Harry Potter movies were filmed there (it is the sight of the Hogwart’s dining hall!), Christ Church College is also very touristy.  It was hard to remember that there were actually students living and studying there as we walked around and explored. 

The Cathedral at Christ Church college was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen, with stunning architechture and some of the most impressive stained glass windows I have ever seen as well.  Later in the day we came back to the College to explore the dining hall from Hogwart’s in Harry Potter, which surprisingly looked a lot smaller in person.  The Christ Church meadow is also worth walking through.

After that morning exploration, Anna and I walked to the Eagle and Child, a famous and popular pub in Oxford which I had really wanted to go to!  I ordered some fish and chips, which were delicious and definitely warmed me up from the cold temperatures outside.  It was also beautiful in there as well, with good music!

After lunch we explored through many of the shops on High Street and walked around the city even more.  We walked up to Mansfield College, where many students from Holy Cross study abroad.  We stopped to get a cookie and coffee before the bus ride back.  Leaving Oxford at 5:00 PM we got back to Sussex at 7:00, and had a thoroughly enjoyable day!

It is sad that this is my last weekend trip with Anna, as she is from Oregon State University and only here for the term.  However, I am definitely grateful for the opportunities to soak up the culture in England, whether it is by travelling on weekend trips or just living everyday life. 

At Christ Church College

Famous dining hall from Harry Potter

Mansfield College