Oxford visit!

November 18th, 2010 amguar12

Hello all!

I know that it seems like from looking at my blogs that I travel quite a bit, and while I do have many weekend trips, I also spend increasing amounts of my weeks in the library and dealing with my laptop issues, which once again did not work this week, requiring two more trips back to ITS.  So yea, week 6 (last week) was incredibly busy, as I was trying to get all of my work done before going to visit my friend from high school, James, who is studying abroad at Oxford for the year. 

Oxford was such a great city, and once again it felt amazing to get off the campus bubble that is Sussex.  One thing I noticed while at Oxford is that the different colleges are really interspersed throughout the city, which gives students more access to the cultural surroundings of Oxford on a daily basis.  Sussex, on the other hand, is a half hour bus ride from Brighton, so unless you live off campus (only first-years and international students live on campus) you really do not venture into Brighton more than once or twice a week. 

The architechture in Oxford was stunning, and the fact that there are 104 different libraries in Oxford definitely gives it an academic feel.  I was there from Friday-Sunday, so it was nice to meet other Oxford students and hear their perspectives, instead of just touristy things.  Being at Oxford reminded me a bit of being at Holy Cross, as students at Oxford are much more passionate and serious about their studies than they appear to be at Sussex so far.

Fellow blogger Colleen Curran studied abroad at Oxford last year, and she gave me some tips on what to see on my weekend there.  Following her advice, I visited the Ashmolean museum, which was very impressive and went to a delicious ice cream place called G&D’s, which makes their own ice cream right on the premises.  Even walking around was exciting, as Oxford is such a beautiful city.

A final point about my trip to Oxford – it was really nice to hang around Americans!  Most people that I interact with at Sussex are British, which is great because where else in the world can I be surrounded by so many British people?  On the flip side, most people I know at Sussex are also a couple years younger than me, so it was definitely comforting to be around people my age, from my culture as well.

Anyways, that is all for now, as I need to make lunch and head off to my one and only class of the day – Stories of Art.  This class (from 12:00-1:00 on a Thursday) is actually my last class of the week.  I will blog again soon!  Hope everyone is having a good day, wherever you are!

Ashmolean Museum

Radcliffe Camera

part of Christ Church College I believe

One Response to “Oxford visit!”

1. Kelsey says:

Gorgeous!! Another awesome trip under your belt!!