Superbowl Craziness!

February 7th, 2011 amguar12

Hey all,

So last night was the epic superbowl xlv, which was shown live at sussex starting at about 11:o0 pm (due to the time difference with America).  Now I am definitely not a huge American football fan myself (last year, I distinctly remember asking a friend in Kimball about an hour before the superbowl who was playing and who we should root for…you can tell I watch a lot of sports!).  However, since the campus pub, East Slope Bar, was broadcasting it, I figured I should at least go see where every other American on campus would be.

I got there with my British flatmates and neighbors at about 9:30, 2 hours before the kick-off and in just enough time to get a seat on the floor (it was packed!  and mostly with Packers fans too).  The weekly pub quiz was going on, and it was themed with American trivia and guessing the lyrics to mainstream American music (for once, something I was good at here!).  I also couldnt get over the decorations – basically, every bit of wall space was decorated with an American flag or some kind of sparkly red, white or blue streamer.  It was patriotism overload – it basically looked like a 4th of July celebration (except that everyone was wearing coats) only with way more decorations than you could imagine.  I couldnt stop laughing over it, and I forgot my camera so I didnt get pics sadly.

They were also selling hot dogs and hamburgers, and it was so exciting to see how many British people get excited about the superbowl!  And yes, I ran into pretty much every American at Sussex I know, including all of the Holy Cross people.  The pregame show started at 11, broadcast on a projection screen in the jam-packed pub (quite claustrophobic actually).  I had been really raving to my flatmates about the commercials or “adverts” as they say here, but little did I know that the superbowl was going to be shown on BBC, which does not show adverts!  So no commercials for me this superbowl.  Also, since the game didnt start until 11:30, I left way before the 3:30 AM ending.  I had a great night, and it is definitely still the buzz on campus!

One Response to “Superbowl Craziness!”

1. Kelsey says:

That is soo awesome!! What an experience in England – it sounds so fun!!